There only a few dishes where turmeric is the main ingredient as it is mostly used as a spice. Thus, most of the recipes I will be discussing will have turmeric but not in a key role.
Lentil is a member of the legume family. It has very high fiber content and provides lots of energy. Another health benefit of lentil is that it is great for heart health and stabilizes blood sugar. As with all legumes, it is an excellent source of protein.
Lentil is very popular in India, not as a soup but we make ‘dal’ (sort of a curry) from it. Lentil can also be taken in soup form and in that turmeric plays an essential part. Lentil soup is also used in detox diets.
Here is recipe for lentil soup with turmeric
What all is required?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (if you can get organic olive oil, it is better)
- 2 onions, peal them and hen chop them
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger root
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice (you may take any other juice you like too)
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons squeezed lemon juice (seasoning based on choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (seasoning based on choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (seasoning based on choice)
- 1 cup plain yogurt, drained in cheesecloth
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (seasoning based on choice)
One can always experiment with the ingredients based on taste.
The method is very straightforward and the soup takes around 20 min to prepare and around an hour to cook. Here are the steps:
Cook onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil over medium heat for 5-7 min. Add other ingredients – sweet potato, parsnip. You need to cook until all these vegetable starts turning soft.
The second step is to add carrots, turmeric, rosemary, water, apple juice, and lentils. Bring all these to a simmer. Turn down the gas knob to low, cover the utensil and allow to simmer for 35-45 min. This makes vegetables tender.
Lastly, add seasonings based on your choice. We had taken parsley, lemon juice, and pepper. It can be served dolloped with yogurt. If you like add pumpkin seeds at the top.
The soup can serve 6 people.