Eczema refers to a medical condition characterized by inflammation and irritation of skin. Atopic eczema and atopic dermatitis are the common forms of eczema. It is often found in people who have tendency to develop allergic reactions to certain compounds. The condition generally improves in children as they age but in few it continues for the rest of the life. However, the condition can be kept under control by using certain natural remedies. Use of turmeric for eczema and itching relieves symptoms easily without any side effects. Majority of them say that it works better than the medicated lotions and creams.
Turmeric is one of the safe herbs used extensively in treatment of skin disorders. Turmeric is a root of the plant Curcuma longa, a perennial plant that grows extensively in tropical regions of South Asia. The active ingredient curcumin present in turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory and bactericidal property. It lowers the expression of enzymes responsible for inflammation in the body and treats inflammation of skin associated with eczema.
Use of turmeric for eczema and itching
Turmeric can be used both internally and externally to treat eczema and itching. Here are few ways to use turmeric for eczema and itching.
- Mix about ½ tsp of turmeric in milk and have it to treat bacterial infections responsible for redness and itching.
- Add ½ tsp of turmeric to boiling water and let it simmer for about ten minutes. This solution can be taken directly or can be used to wash the affected area. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory action of curcumin helps in relieving the itching and the rashes.
- Make a paste using 1 Tbs of grounded neem leaves paste and 1Tbs of turmeric powder. Apply this paste at the affected portion. The antibacterial action of both turmeric and neem leaves relieves rashes.
Applying oil of turmeric : Prepare turmeric oil like this: Take 250 gms of any bitter oil, ~300 gms juice of durva grass (also known as Cynodon dactylon, Bermuda grass, bermudagrass, dubo, dog’s tooth grass, Bahama grass, devil’s grass, couch grass, etc.), 125 gms of turmeric ground down with water. Cook them in iron vessel and then cool. The oil then is strained using piece of cloth. This oil should be applied on both wet and dry affections. The process has to be applied for atleast 5 days. Precautions while applying on wet affections:
- Clean them and pus using neem water (it is basically an anti-septic) and then dry the surface with clean cotton cloth. Apply the oil by using clean cotton cloth.
- Turmeric face mask made of ½ cup chickpea flour, I tsp of turmeric powder, 1tsp of sandalwood powder and almond oil gives blemish free beautiful skin. Apply the paste on the face and do gentle massage. Rinse off with water after five to ten minutes to enjoy scar free glowing skin.
Forms of turmeric available in the market
- Fluid extract.
Turmeric root can also be purchased directly from the store and can be grounded in to powder or a fluid extract can be made. Most of the turmeric products available in the stores contain bromelain that promotes absorption of curcumin. It also boosts the anti-inflammatory action of curcumin.
Precautions to be followed while using turmeric for eczema and itching
- Taking high dosage of turmeric is harmful and can lead to side effects such as diarrhea, contraction of gall bladder and bleeding. Hence, take only required dosage of turmeric under the guidance of a physician.
- If you are suffering with gallstones then talk to your doctor before using turmeric.
- If you are using medications to lower the blood sugar levels then be careful about turmeric dosage as turmeric boosts the effect of diabetic medications and reduces blood sugar levels drastically.
- Stop taking turmeric two weeks before surgery as its blood thinning effect interferes with blood clotting process during and after surgery.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take turmeric supplements.
I have personally used both turmeric milk and turmeric to wash the affected area when I developed slight itching problem due to excessive humid and unclean weather conditions. I would say the situation was not very serious but turmeric sure did help in the healing process. One of my uncle has eczema problem and has not been able to control it using popular medications, he also used turmeric based options and found it useful. As he continued with his normal medications too, it is tough for me to say that the benefit was 100% due to turmeric.
If you have used turmeric for treating itching and other skin disorders, do comment and write about it and let others know