Turmeric as a spice is considered extremely safe. 1-1.5 tsp of turmeric a day is considered very safe.
But side effects may happen if:
- You take high dosages of turmeric for a long time
- You are on medication and turmeric interacts with medications
- Certain conditions may be worsened by turmeric – lower BP and kidney stones.
- In pregnancy, do not take supplements and limit dosage as a spice
- Stop taking turmeric before a surgery
Another big issue is use of supplements. Supplements have high % of curcumin and an overdose can cause side effects.