Lemon rice is a very popular variant of rice recipe in India. This tasty and healthy dish comes from southern parts of India.
Lemon rice is called lemon rice because they are sour in taste because lemon juice is used to prepare them. Apart from that, another distinct feature is its very beautiful looking yellow color which it gets from the use of turmeric in it.
I had lemon rice first time just a few years ago and since then I have become a huge fan. It appeals to all senses – has great taste, awesome color, and amazing aroma.
What is needed to make lemon rice?
Here is the list of key ingredients for lemon rice:
- 4 cups cooked white basmati rice / brown basmati rice (basmati rice is the best rice for lemon rice)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (any oil of your preference would do)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6 green cardamom pods, split
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 dried hot red chills, cut lengthwise
- Finely chopped pieces of ginger (based on your taste)
- Garlic and clove – choose quantity based on your taste
- 10 fresh or dried curry leaves (we use curry leaves a lot for taste and garnishing, use them if you find them good)
- Garnishing of choice – Coriander, dry fruits, etc.
How to cook lemon rice
Cooking of lemon rice is not time-consuming. It just takes 15-20 min.
Step one is to heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and put all spices. Cook till you can very well smell the aroma of the spices. Typically it will take 3-4 minutes.
Then put lemon juice and cook for 1 minute and then add rice. The important part is to keep stirring the mixture so that spices blend well with rice. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Your lemon rice is ready! Add garnishing of choice. We typically add cashews, roasted peanuts, coriander, etc.
The quantity is sufficient to serve 4 people.
Image Source: nandyala.org