Turmeric, the golden-yellow powder in our spice cabinets, also widely regarded as the ‘Indian saffron’, is an age-old spice used since time immemorial.
It is obtained from the plant Curcuma longa (family Zingiberaceae).
In countries such as India, a kitchen is incomplete without Turmeric. Its flavor and color are the primary reasons of its popular usage in culinary.
But the health benefits it offers cannot be ignored either.
Table of Contents
Health Benefits of Turmeric
If you are already aware of Turmeric’s health benefits, please skip this section.
Turmeric plays an important role in the health care industry. From skin issues to cancer, turmeric has a solution for everything.
It exhibits potent anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, and anti-cancer properties.
It has the ability to cure a wide range of diseases and health conditions like diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, menstrual cramps, acne, etc.
Anti-inflammatory activity- it inhibits the expression of inflammatory enzymes like COX-2, LOX-5, and INOS, etc.
It suppresses the release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukins responsible for inflammation. It also inhibits the activation of inflammatory pathways like NF-kB.
This helps in the prevention and treatment of diseases like arthritis, Pancreatitis, ulcerative colitis, and cancer, etc.
Study has shown that it reduces oxidative stress and amyloid beta plaque deposition in Alzheimer’s disease.
Anti-microbial activity- Curcumin exhibits anti- bacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties.
It prevents viral infections like HIV infection by binding to the active site of HIV-protease and integrase enzymes.
And you know what’s the best thing about turmeric? It has absolutely minimal side effects if consumed in appropriate quantities.
It is inexpensive and easily available. It is completely safe when consumed with food.
Turmeric Capsules – But Why?
Turmeric is great for health but let’s face it not all will like its taste especially if you are planning to use it for the first time.
But you need not to worry, there are ways this issue can be taken care of and one such way is Turmeric capsules.
A number of health care companies manufacture turmeric powder capsules but did you know that you can make them on your own at home of your desired dosage?
Yes, you read it right. You can make your own turmeric capsules at home very easily. All you need is:
- Turmeric powder
- Gelatin capsules, and
- A Capsule machine
Step 1: Making turmeric powder
Okay, so it just means that you need to get hold of a good quality turmeric powder to fill your capsules.
If you already have one – great. If you are confused about them. Here is the list of recommended brands you can buy>
You can also add black pepper in turmeric powder. Black pepper is essential to improve the absorption of turmeric in the body.
Step 2: Capsules and Machine
Different sizes of capsules are available. If you choose a very small one you will have to take many to take even a small quantity of powder. if you take a very large one, you may find it difficult to swallow.
We found that using “00” size capsules is best.
If you already know a good brand of capsules, please use them else, we have shortlisted some great brands for Veg. “00” capsules below:
- USA – Now Foods Veg. Caps (more than 500 reviews)
- UK – The Alchemists Apothecary (more than 30 reviews)
The next thing in the agenda is to figure out a way to fill the caps as fast as possible.
One way is to fill them one by one manually or we can make the process faster by using a capsule filling machine.
We recommend the capsule machine by Capsule Connection as it is easy to use and better than most others available.
You can buy the machine here:
If you do not want to do that you can use a Lab Scoop to fill the capsules individually.
Step 3: Get all the things together
With powder, capsules, and machine ready, we are all set!
- Put the base of the machine on the stand.
- The gelatin capsules consist of two parts- the longer body and the shorter cap.
- Put the longer part into the base and the shorter caps into the cap holder.
- Now fill the capsule bodies with turmeric powder.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of turmeric powder over the base.
- With the help of the scraper, fill the capsules with the powder.
- Remove the excess turmeric from the base.
- Use the tamper or the comb to push the powder down soscraper. that more powder can be added.
- Again pour turmeric powder over the base and spread using the
- Remove the excess turmeric.
- Place the cap holder on the base such that the caps fit over the capsule bodies.
- Gently release the filled capsules.
Here is a video on how the machine works :
Here are answers to some of the most common questions you may have on the process of making the capsules:
1. How much turmeric powder should I take
As much as you need. You can prepare as many capsules as you want
2. How many capsules should I take in a day?
Typically 4 capsules will have around 1 tsp of turmeric powder. This means every capsule is 1/4 tsp and you can take easily take up to 4 capsules daily
3. How do I take oil and black pepper?
The best way is to take these caps just after your meal. Most meals have oils and thus it will help in absorption. You can also add freshly grounded black pepper in your salad / meal and then have these caps. This way the absorption issue can be solved.
4. What is the best time to take the caps?
Taking it along / just before / just after meals is the best as the absorption of curcumin can be enhanced using the oils / fats present in the food.
5. Is there an expiry related issue with turmeric?
Turmeric powder is stable and can be used for months. But you should make caps which can be consumed in a months time and then again make fresh ones.
Precautions while making Caps
While the process of making the capsules is very easy, there are some precautions you should definitely take:
- Wear gloves while making the capsules to avoid fingerprints and deposition of body oils on them.
- The appearance, color, and extent of fill of the capsules should be uniform.
- The capsules should be tightly locked.
- Gelatin capsules should neither be stored in highly humid conditions nor in very less humid conditions.
Some health-related precautions with turmeric:
- Very high doses of turmeric cause some side effects such as the upset stomach, nausea, etc.
- People with gallstones obstructed bile passages and diabetes should consult their doctors before taking turmeric supplements.
- Breastfeeding and pregnant women are advised not to go for turmeric supplements but can consume a limited amount with food.
- People going for surgery should not take turmeric supplements for two weeks prior to their surgery.
In the end..
Turmeric is an essential ingredient that every kitchen must have. But if you do not like the taste, there is always an option of making turmeric capsules!